Thursday, January 3, 2013

Update - National Park Service and Traveling the Country

Hi everybody.  Wow, its been a long time since writing on this blog.  For that I apologize, but what a wild ride it has been!  Let me fill you in, so hold on because this ride goes fast...

My last posts had to do with my SCA position on Maui: Haleakala National Park interpretive ranger, so I will begin there.  My internship ended and I flew back home to Northern NY.  Prior to leaving however, I had set up my next two National Park positions in southwest USA.  My reasoning behind that was to get away from the snow belt of NY and to see a new part of the country.  I had never been to AZ or NM and it just so happened that there were a couple volunteer positions open in those states so I said, hey, why not... you only live once right?

I began my trip by driving across country to Northern AZ where I would spend the next three months as a living history interpretive national park ranger for Pipe Spring National Monument.  I did a lot of truck stop hopping, sleeping in my car, and visiting new areas over the course of a week and a half before making it to my new home in AZ.  Mammoth Cave National Park was one of the more memorable stops along the way.  You see, I decided to flee the cold and head straight south and then head west as I was spending most of my time in my car, day and night.  That plan didn't really work out but because I distinctly waking up, turning on the car, and seeing that the temp. outside was exactly 0 degrees F but I still had a fun time along the way.  I got to hike several miles underground at Mammoth Caves with paid guided tours and spent a very enjoyable day at a State Park in Oklahoma.  Further, I stopped at Capulin Volcano National Monument, NM, and then went into CO to discover that my newest favorite National Park was Great Sand Dunes National Park.  While spending half a day at the park, the scenery was overwhelming.  I decided to climb the tallest sand dune I could find and enjoyed just a tremendous view from the top overlooking a sandy, hilly, mountain vista!  That night, after my climb, I slept in my car on some BLM land up the road.  I woke up to a strange scraping sound coming from the front passenger seat.  Come to find out, I had a mouse decide to move in and share some of the food I had stored up there.  Well I didn't like the idea of a mouse climbing on me that night but I didn't have much choice, the temp. was very very cold and my tent was packed away under a ton of stuff so I just tried to put it out of my head and ignore the noises of munching and squeaking coming from the front of the car and moving around through my ventilation system.  The next day I stopped and got some traps and got the little bugger the following night.  I spent a very enjoyable few days with my Aunt and Uncle in Pagosa Springs, CO.  Uncle Doug took me up in his plane, I got to do some laundry, and just flat out have a nice relaxing time with my family!  Thanks for your hospitality again!  I left and stopped at a couple National Monuments going into and through UT.  Capitol Reef National Park and Cedar Breaks National Monument were very fun and beautiful stops along the way and ending at my destination of Pipe Spring National Monument in northern AZ.

At Pipe Spring, I worked with some great people and helped interpret some really cool resources.  A couple weeks of training had me ready to work the visitor center / museum, and give guided walks through a historic building.  I had a lot of fun at the monument was situated in a great location.  From Pipe Spring, I got to visit all sorts of cool BLM lands and choke canyons, Bryce Canyon National Park, North Rim of the Grand Canyon at a couple different places, and one of my favorites... Zion National Park.  This was the months of November, Dec., and January.  Visitation during those months are very limited and the weather was kind of cold in the High Desert, but I loved the area and would move back there for the cooler months again if the opportunity presented itself again.

Well thats the end of my story for tonight.  I have a whole year after that to catch up on as well and working at three other parks afterwards.  Obviously I skipped a lot of trips: hiking and exploring on my way out and while in AZ but message me with questions if you are interested in some of those places I mentioned.  I will continue again soon hopefully.  We have a BEAUTIFUL country, go out and see it!

No comments: