Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Maui, Hawaii, Haleakala National Park 1

Aloha everybody. Well I’m now residing on the island of Maui in the state of Hawaii! I’m working as an SCA (Student Conservation Association) intern with the NPS (National Park Service) for the U.S. Department of Interior. My internship is in Haleakala National Park and I live at an elevation of 7,000’ in housing provided to me by the park. The volcano I am living on is actually just over 10,000’ in elevation and the road up from the base is a series of winding switchbacks and serious turns. The view is amazing, every morning as I walk to work (about a mile from housing to the Headquarters Visitor Center) I can look down the mountain and over most of the island of Maui. I can follow the shoreline along until it goes around the other volcano in West Maui and then as it picks up again on the other side and past the biggest town/city on the island: Kahului, where the major airport is.
Maui View 1
Maui View 2
It is not uncommon to see a series of rainbows as the saturated clouds like to hover around the elevation of where I live. Because of this, the above elevations where I commonly work is very dry and is actually considered a “cinder desert”.
Crater 1
Crater 2
The thin air at the top visitor’s center is usually very clear and I can easily make out the big island of Hawaii from the summit. I have been in training these last 5 days of work and probably have another couple weeks or so before I’m let loose to teach on my own. I have learned a TON in this short time but I feel like I have just scratched the surface. The Hawaiian culture alone is so amazing and add to that the island’s unique animals/vegetation/weather and geology… there is a lot to learn in order to sufficiently answer the public’s questions. I’m enjoying the challenge however and am enjoying the ride thus-far.
Native NeNe

Greenhouse
The housing is very nice here and nearly everything was provided when I moved in. I share a kitchen and living room with a cool SCA intern (Jake) who works for Vegetative Management under a different park department.
Kitchen
Room
My first three days of work flew by and before I knew it I was having my “weekend” on Thursday and Friday. This will typically be my days off and already I have been making them count. On Thursday I drove down the mountain with another SCA intern whom I work with in interp. (Rebecca) and enjoyed a day at the beach: swimming, lying around in the sun, driving around and eating. Afterwards that afternoon we met up with a couple other friends and saw a few other places on the island.
Beach 1
Beach 2
There has been a lot of other things going on but they are too numerous to go into any detail… suffice it to say I have seen some amazing views, learned some fascinating information, and have had a great first week. I want to thank my family and friends who have been in contact with me one way or another and keeping me posted with what is happening back home in NY. Thanks for all the well wishes I have received as well, I am truly lucky to have such a great group of people following and supporting my travels, so Mahalo! I have created a picture album on Facebook with more than what I have posted here in this blog post so please feel free to take a look! You will have to add me as a friend to view them however as I do not let just anybody have access to my pictures. In my opinion though, these are the best of what I have taken so far so I hope you enjoy. More to come as my adventure here on Maui progresses… I have a couple training hikes and backcountry orientations coming up that I plan on documenting with photos. These will take me down into the crater and also on the other side of the island in the tropical zone so I can’t wait for that. Thanks for following and remember to check back for more to come.
Bird on Branch
Along Trail
Trees
Old Gate
Fern 1
Fern 3
Fern 2
I know what your thinking… and I agree… Cool Ferns!

No comments: